Monday, July 21, 2008

Liege to Brussels to London to Jo'burg

Done. Oh yeah, the intrepid traveler has taken the challenge and managed. The video I watched on Johannesburg said "If you are going to J'burg, you are not a tourist, you're a traveler." I quite agree.

My hotel is just 3km from the airport, a quick $8 taxi. But the city - well, we'll get to that - Mandela Square in Sandton was a 30 minute $40 drive. Reception at the hotel and the taxi driver both assured me there were no buses. There are buses everywhere, with mysterious names and numbers, and no whites on any of them. There is also the fleet of mini-vans, like Yerevan, running 15 passenger bus service.

I passed some very basic housing districts but the city, at least the small area I walked through, is modern, bustling, and very integrated. The upscale mall as well. It's only the buses that seem to be segegrated. And I did see a young white businessman and a middle aged woman who appeared to be waiting for a bus.

But there isn't really a city center with walking tour sort of appeal. My driver, Alfred, gave me the choices of the Apartheid Museum and the Mandela Square. I asked if I could have lunch at Mandela Square then walk or take a bus to the museum. It's 20km, he said. Yikes. Welcome to L.A. gone to extremes. I want to do a quick tourist top ten of the city and it turns out the city is really a county, or more. It's 35 km to one of the places he suggested.

I'm only here for less than a day, so I'll be content with my quick look. The people have been supremely helpful and friendly. I'm sure I look my most pathetic lost to elicit such kindness.

I ate a late lunch at the Lekgotla Dining Room at Nelson Mandela Square - a buffet of bean lentil soup, steamed bread and dip, chicken, shrimp, beef, lamb, curry and rice, sweet potatoes, vegetable blend (unidentified and scrumptious), fruit and Mango Brulée for dessert. And caffe. With a traditional African decor. A winning choice over the Thai House and Ristorante Italiano!

Tomorrow I begin 3 weeks in the DR Congo with uncertain internet access, so stay tuned. At latest will update August 9 when I get home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ciao, madame! it looks like you've had full summer.

Anonymous said...

see you the first day back!

Anonymous said...

Madame-- is Charlotte coming over?? When, if so?? Respondez-vous sil vous plait! and no! I refuse to use accents!

Anonymous said...

Hi forum, cool weather and good mood. life is a good thing however turn

Anonymous said...

Hi, today is a beautiful day in my life. I saw a first snow in this year and I save this photo for all people in the World!