Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sevilla July 20-22, 2007


The University classes finished Friday at 4pm so that the summer students could gather for a reception where grades were distributed. Unfortunately, in order to get to Paris early enough for an international flight, I had to skip the reception and the last meeting of the Written Argumentation class. I did 3 hours of homework the night before to make up for my absence, a summary, an opening argument, and an imitation of a satirical essay. The class apparently did little of that, so my absence was productive.

The subway from the University to the Rennes train station was a matter of minutes, and the train to Paris is smooth and rapid. There is another train directly to the airport, where the security is meticulous. I was in Sevilla before dark, met by my French “sister” Christine, whose family hosted me in 1969. She went to Spain for her Master’s Degree in Spanish, married Eusebio, a Spanish lawyer, and stayed to become a French teacher. Her children, Eubsebio and Alexandra, are the age of mine. The network of our families is closely tied across 3 generations. Their Papa is dear to me, my parents stayed with them for a month the year of the 500 anniversary of Columbus voyage to America.

I spent a weekend of relaxing, shopping, and girl talk. After a Friday evening thinking that this would be a vacation from the working photographer seeking every highlight to use in class, I suddenly realized with Christine’s reminder that my son is now a Spanish teacher, so I snapped back into high gear. We walked through a former palace, now an elegant hotel. The mosaics are simply stunning. The Arab influence is very visible, blending with the Spanish art to create a breathtaking city. Many bridal choose the Alcázar palace with its treasures of art and gardens. My Sevilla photos are limited since we did little touring, but this photo of ladies resting in the shade on the Plaza of Spain is perhaps my favorite photo as art. Each region of Spain has a mosaic and a map in a magnificent public display created for the World’s Fair. Maintenance of this public art is becoming increasingly urgent and expensive. Christine and Chebi are family in many ways, including the addiction to owning books. The view from their balcony at night is splendid, but so is the view in every room of bookshelve beckoning the avid reader! Fortunately many are in Spanish, which reduces the temptation.

My return Sunday evening was a testimony to the efficiency of European public transportation. I was back at Agnes’ home Sunday evening as though I’d made a road trip to Chicago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.