Saturday, June 16, 2007

Chateau d'Autigny-la-Tour: June 8-15, 2007

Wow, after a train trip shared at first with Léa and J-B from the depths of the French central hills and ending in the far northeast, it was an amazing moment to stroll through my chateau away from home. This is the Chateau d'Autigny-la-Tour, an 18th century manor house built for the local Duc with a large enclosed garden and woodland. The interior is immaculate and carefully refurnished in period decor, breathtaking, lovely - and not for photos! So you will have to believe me that the reception rooms, salons, and dining rooms are simply divine. Here is a sample from the public rooms of which I had use during my 3 days as a Comtesse.

After a delumptious croissant and petit pain with coffee, I explored the public area of the chateau, then took a long walk in the gardens and woodland, where I stopped to read for a bit. Before the leaden sky began to rain, I wandered the circumference of the walls. What a quiet stroll, serenaded by bird song and a rising breeze!

The relative isolation of the village, with no commercial stores or cafés, required a rental car, so the next morning, Julien , the son of the owners, drove me into Neufchateau to the Renault garage where I got a Twingo. Lovely!






My day of solitude as a Comtesse came to an end with an afternoon of computer work and writing by a open window listening to the rain.

2 comments:

The Wood Elf's Sister said...

"The leaden sky" is an evocative phrase that reminds me of Jane Eyre. If the Chateau walls were gray instead of tan, it could be Thornfield!

rarewren said...

Tres cool chateau, Mum. Path and pond are so lovely! I'm going to Google "Twingo" now...