Saturday, June 16, 2007

Cantal: June 8-10, 2007

The train system works wonderfully in France. I left the metropolitain behind, changing trains in Clermont-Ferrand, and wound deep into the valleys of the Massif Central, worn volcanic hills, reminiscent of the Smokies, the Appalacian foothills. I called the Ginioux home at noon from Lyon before leaving, and Jean-Baptiste assured me that his mother would come by after work. She did arrive, astonished as I to see each other again. The quality of friendship that thrives far apart in time and distance, yet picks up again after 11 years simply astonishes me. What a source of hope and faith in mankind!

Gérard and Jean-Baptiste, Léa and Bernadette, host me at dinner at Le Mazet, the home of their grandparents a short hike up the road from their house, Cavalhac, outside the village of Lacapelle-del-Fraisse, about a half hour drive from Aurillac.


While I was visiting, the French legislative election first round vote was held on Sunday, so I accompanied Bernadette into the townhall to cast her ballot. She picked up one of each of the papers with candidates names, ducked into a private corner booth to stuff her choice into the envelope, and dropped her vote into the box. The election drew a smaller turnout than the recent presidential election, but it was the lead story in all the news.

The beauty of the French countryside calms and invigorates me. This is a lovely flowering place steeped in ages and ages of human history.

2 comments:

The Wood Elf's Sister said...

Gorgeous countryside. The kind of place where a person can center herself. The kind of place I enjoy spending time. Lovely photos. Thanks for taking us with you!

XXXOOO

rarewren said...

Hooray for wonderfully working train systems! Recent air travel snafus have me yearning to take to the trains again.

Such lovely stone buildings, and interesting to make a trip to the French ballot box. I recently had occasion to hang out with the languages and lits crowd on campus, and I must say their French political jokes were almost over my head. Fun learning experience though.

Hugs!